Friday, July 1, 2011

It Finally Rained and Our Garden is Growing Good


The last time I blogged about our garden it hadn’t rained in Alabama for quiet a while. Folks around here prayed for rain, and now it’s rained almost every day for weeks. The plants are looking great; so are the weeds and grass. We were able to till between the rolls at my parents to help deal with some of the weeds, and we’ve had to weed in between the plants as well. Morning Glory, trees, and many other weeds have tried to overgrow our gardens.


I have finally figured out which two vining plants are growing in our garden; Alabama Black Butter Beans and Kentucky Wonder Pole Beans. There for a while we didn’t have a clue, but they definitely look different.


Our oregano didn’t ever grow from seeds. I think someone had commented that they were difficult to deal with sometimes. So, after trying to grow oregano from seeds a couple of times and not succeeding, we went ahead and bought some pretty healthy looking oregano plants from a local seed and hardware store.


We haven’t harvested anything yet, but our plants are looking pretty. Some have some blooms so we know that will happen in time. We planted peppermint on one side of our garden. That side doesn’t seem to have that many bugs or ants. We’ll want to plant a lot more of that in the future.

6 comments:

Jeremiah and Stephenie said...

Looks great! I'm disappointed that we won't have beans this year.
Congratulations on winning the June giveaway!

Home Where We Belong said...

Thanks! I was surprised to have won the June giveaway. Everyone has posted some awesome entries about their gardens.
Maybe you'll have beans next year. I thought it essential to plant them this year since my mom buys so many beans and peas from the farmer's market to can and put up. Hopefully, this year she won't have to buy them. We've planted Kentucky Wonder Pole Beans, Rattlesnake Beans, and Kentucky Wonder Bush Beans so she'll have a little variety.

Hansberry Clan said...

Congrats! On the prize and the rain :)

Funny, I intentionally grew some morning glory as I do every year. Funny how it can be a weed..any 'weed' for that matter. Here we cut down blackberries like crazy while others are dying to have some, lol.

Yeah, we've had oregano die on us many times. Keep trying though. I think I finally got one seed to work. The seedling is about the size of a dime right now and could still die. It is so delicate. I had two seedlings growing in that pot though and I'm not sure which one survived so maybe it isnt oregano at all, haha. I'll know if it starts smelling like pizza I guess!

Love looking at all your dirt :)

Home Where We Belong said...

lol...you're right. I know a lot of people around here who intentionally grow Blackberries. My daughter bought some Morning Glory seeds this year to intentionally grow some even though I told her that she could just pull them up out of the garden and plant in pots if she wanted to do so. They are pretty flowers when allowed to grow.

I hope your oregano seedling continues to grow. Those two oregano plants we bought smelled wonderful. I think I might buy some more soon.

Hansberry Clan said...

So, what color are the wild morning glories you have? I think I have seen some growing wild that are white. The ones I grow from seed are blue/purple. I grow them up onto the fence by my patio. It is interesting because their color and size seem to be affected by the amount of sun and the temperature. So much so that towards fall it is as if you have planted a new variety.

I actually have a few things I've found growing wild and intentionally dug it up to plant in my flower beds. Like the mint, and lemon balm. Probably should do the same thing for plantain since it has medicinal value.

Even though you had to buy your oregano, it is worth it for herbs especially the kind that come up every year. Then after a while you can divide them and put them everywhere your heart desires :)

Home Where We Belong said...

Olivia, I got my goodies from the June Giveaway today. The peppermint tea smells awesome, and the chocolates are delicious. I don't think your post showed up on here from some reason.

Hansberry clan, I have seen white and blue Morning Glories grow spontaneously in our yard before, but my mom says that even when you intentionally plant Morning Glory plants they have a tendacy to keep spreading and growing even where you don't want them. So..that may explain the blue flowers growing without our help. They are pretty plants. I just don't need them choking out my tomatoes, squash, or peas. lol

I hope to someday have an herb garden that keeps returning year after year. So, hopefully, this oregano we planted will be that type of herb.